You are here
OPEN ROAD TOLLING (ORT)
Effective, June 21, 2012 the gates have been removed in the middle lanes so you can drive through at 40 mph without stopping. If you rely on “low balance” signs, you must stay in the gated lanes. Low balance notifications are not available in ORT lanes.
*If you have automatic replenishment and use ORT please make sure you have a valid credit card on file.
Please be aware that you must list ALL vehicles that will be using your transponder and have your EZPass correctly mounted. If your transponder is not correctly mounted, it will not be read and you will receive a violation notice in the mail and will be assessed a substantial fee.
If you are traveling to Jamestown you cannotuse the ORT lanes, you must use the far right gated lanes to get to the Jamestown exits.
HOW TO INSTALL YOUR E-ZPASS TRANSPONDER
Properly installing the Interior E-ZPass Transponder in you vehicle is easy and essential.
- Sit inside your vehicle facing forward. Select a location behind and to the right of the rearview mirror. The spot should be at least 4" below the vehicle's frame and should be clean and dry.
- Do not remove the adhesive fasteners from the back of the transponder. Simply peel off the plastic backing to reveal the sticky surface of the fasteners.
- With the E-ZPass logo facing you, right side up, affix the entire transponder assembly to the selected spot on the inside of your windshield.
- Press the entire transponder assembly firmly in place and hold for one to two seconds. The installation process is now complete.
How do I know my transponder is working?
If you see a green light and a “Go E-ZPass" message through gated lanes, your transponder is working correctly. If your transponder is not working properly, please contact the Customer Service Center at 1-877-743-9727.
What if the message indicates a low balance, but I am sure my account has enough money in it?
Call 1-877-743-9727 and use our automated phone system to confirm your account balance. Please have your account and PIN # ready before calling.
Note: If you are on automatic replenishment and see “low balance” in gated lanes, you may not have updated your credit card information with E-ZPass.
What if my E-ZPass has no money or a negative balance?
Do not use your E-ZPass until your account has been replenished. If you go through tolls with a negative balance you may be subject to violation fees.
Are there any times I should not use my transponder?
Yes, the following examples are times when you should not use your transponder:
- If you have reported your transponder as lost or stolen
- If you know that you do not have sufficient funds in your E-ZPass account
- If you are using a different class vehicle (i.e., a car transponder in a truck)
Where do I make payments?
- Customer Service Center in Jamestown, RI
- Over the phone at 1-877-743-9727
- Online at www.ezpassritba.com
- Dropped in the night deposit box located at the Jamestown Office
You may also pay by mail. Checks and money orders should be mailed to:
RITBA E-ZPass Customer Service Center
PO Box 437
Jamestown, RI 02835
PLEASE DO NOT MAIL CASH
ALL TRANSACTIONS TAKE 24 HOURS TO TAKE EFFECT IN THE LANES.
What is the silver bag for?
The silver bag is a read prevention bag. If you have multiple E-ZPass transponders in the car make sure to have one in the silver bag, in the glove compartment (both tags can be charged). If you are shipping your vehicle make sure to take your transponder down from the windshield and place it in the silver bag.
What if my E-ZPass doesn’t work?
If you are going through the gated lanes in RI and your account is in good standing and does not read, you must pay the cash and ask for a receipt from the toll collector. We cannot reimburse you without a receipt.
New Accounts & Additional Transponders New E-ZPass accounts and additional transponders take 24 hours to activate in Rhode Island, and 48 hours to activate out of state. New transponders will not work immediately.
No matter what your questions are, there is one easy number to call; 1-877-743-9727 (MondayFriday 9:00am-6:00pm, Saturday 8:00am-1:00pm) You may call 24 hours a day for automated account information.